Sunday, January 11, 2015

Cavinti: A town by the waters

Situated around 100 kilometers from Manila, the town of Cavinti is known for three known aquatic places, the well-known Caliraya Lake and the Magdapio Falls aka Cavinti Falls aka Pagsanjan Falls and the underrated yet cool Lumot Lake. I and a group of bloggers were supposed to go there after Christmas, but because the weather there is relatively inclement during the Yuletide season, the tour, which is formally named Cavinti Eco-Adventure Tour or CavEAT, was moved to a "safer" date, which was right after the New Year. So we packed up for the trip. Herald Bebis, the one who invited us, met us at the Pagsawitan Junction in Sta. Cruz. I was surprised that we were many in the group, and I only knew a few.
Here's a photo of our group.
After meeting new friends, we went straight to the Bumbungan River Eco-Park.
The river, which connects to the Cavinti River, actually overflows through the National Highway, prompting the municipal government to build a higher bridge and turn the old road portion to the eco-park.
We ate breakfast and were briefed about what to expect for the entire weekend. After doing some sightseeing and some instant "foot spa" at the river...
...we went to a sambalilio manufacturing store at the town proper. We got one each. With me doing some "ballies", I donned the hat to my ball!
When I took the ballie, I was reminded a lot of the Dallas Mavericks'
old logo.
Now, one of the highlights of the Cavinti tour: A trip to the Cavinti Falls. The former Magdapio Falls, more popularly known as the Pagsanjan Falls as the town is the easier route to the falls, can be accessed from Cavinti through the El Pueblo Del Salvador Eco-Park. It's a trek route that reminded me of my one and only journey to Mt. Makiling. What makes the trek more exciting are two rappelling stations. At first, I felt somewhat scared that I had to go down 40 steps down via rappelling, but good thing the staff kept us safe. We made it to the falls. Considering it was the first time for most of us, we made the most of it. While it was a nerve-wracking experience, it was fun.

Then we spent the sunset time at the Camarin Park. The place is managed by NAPOCOR since the place is actually a hydroelectric plant along the Caliraya (both Lumot and Caliraya are synthetic lakes built to provide electricity).
Here's a photo of Cavinti's sunset at the Camarin Power Plant.
We spent the night at the Villa Oliveros Resort owned by no less than the town's mayor Milbert Oliveros. To have some fun before we sleep, we played a game of billiards there.
Even by sunrise, the game of pool continued.
Our first destination for the second day was the Cavinti Chapel. Because I was rushing for errands for our news site (plus the fact that I'm a Born-Again Christian), I did not enter the chapel.
Later in the day, we went to the Caliraya Mountain Lake Resort, where I learned how to play golf. Then we went to the Lago Fishing Village (I decided not to join my blogger friends there since I was really on a rush since I'm the new online editor for Dugout). Our trip culminated at the Japanese Garden.
I wished our tour in Cavinti was an extended one, but it was a fun weekend.

How to get to Cavinti? Ride a bus going to Sta. Cruz (trips by HM and JAC Liner extend up to Pagsanjan) and ride a jeep going to Cavinti.

Optional: DLTB offers late afternoon trips from Pasay to Sta. Maria (Yup. There's a town in Laguna named Sta. Maria). If you get lucky to find one, ride that bus and tell the conductor to drop you off at Lumban. Ride a jeep going to Cavinti from there.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...